Time & Location
About the Event
We are very excited to announce our ‘Judge Talk’ event with Deputy District Judge and experienced Barrister, Emily Ward from Broadway House Chambers on Tuesday 12 October 2021, 6pm start, at Broadway House Chambers, 1 City Square, Leeds LS1 2ES. Drinks and refreshments will be provided. The event is in-person only.
Emily will be presenting her advice and some courtroom anecdotes through the years of her highly demanded legal practice and experience acting both as a Deputy District Judge and Barrister in Family and Care proceedings. Emily will be talking us through some of her key “do’s and don’ts” in the courtroom, as well as on matters such as:
- Tips on how to prepare your submissions before getting to court;
- How to present the best possible case for your client (irrespective of the area of law),
- How to come across as a confident, professional and knowledgeable junior advocate;
- How to deal with witnesses and other legal professionals in the courtroom; and
- How to keep the judge on your side!
Whether you’re a seasoned solicitor advocate, or are just looking to get some tips and tricks on advocacy in the event you’re told you’re going to court one-day (often on a moments notice) by a Partner, this will be an invaluable session which provides first-hand knowledge of how to present yourself in the courtroom environment.
The presentation will last for around 45 minutes, followed by a 15 minute slot for questions and networking at the end.
The event is FREE for Leeds JLD members. £5 for non-members. Register your place through our website at: https://www.leedsjld.com/events
Please contact FELT/In-House committee member, Harvey Blake at Harvey.Blake@gordonsllp.com for any questions.